Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Monday, November 5, 2007

Lemon Tahini Dressing

Salad: spring mix, alfalfa sprouts, grape tomatoes, kalamata olives, goat cheese and croutons with a lemon tahini dressing (recipe below).



Tahini is a common ingredient in Middle Eastern food and the essential ingredient in hummus. It is made from ground hulled sesame seeds and has a unique flavor that I crave more often than I will admit. I recommend buying tahini from an ethnic grocery as it is likely to be more authentic and better quality, but tahini can be found in almost any grocery store. Make sure that you are buying one with no preservatives, no additives, and no salt because pure tahini is so delicious that any of that stuff would ruin it!

As soon as I found the perfect jar of tahini, i rushed home and created this salad dressing! I hope you like it as much as I do...

INGREDIENTS:

1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 tsp garlic, minced or crushed
2 Tbsp. honey
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
juice from one lemon (meyer lemons are the best!)
1/2 tsp salt (I use kosher or sea salt)

DIRECTIONS:

* Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth.
* Store in air-tight jar and refrigerate.
* Best when used within one week.

Serving suggestion: In addition to being a versatile salad dressing, this dressing is also really great drizzled on grilled vegetables, in pita wraps and sandwiches, and as a dip for raw vegetables!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

...begging the question, what is the perfect jar of Tahini?

Morgan Lee said...

Well...for me, the perfect jar of tahini is one that has no preservatives, no additives, and no salt added--just 100% pure ground hulled sesame seeds!

Anonymous said...

That is one delicious dressing!

I am eating it on Rainbow Salad (the raw brocolli, califlower, cabbage and carrot mix that comes premade) even as I type!

Thank you for sharing it!

Morgan Lee said...

You are welcome! I am so glad you are enjoying it!

Anonymous said...

I don't get it. If you've got a blender, why not make your own tahini?

Morgan Lee said...

I have never attempted to make my own tahini, because I imagine you would need a really high powered commercial processor to produce the really smooth texture of tahini...I think it's worth it to save yourself the hassle and buy some at the grocery store...but I bet homemade tahini has the potential to be really delicious! :)