Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Sunday, November 4, 2007

Healthy Pancakes

I really like weekend breakfasts...during the week I usually stick with granola or oatmeal, but the weekend is usually my opportunity to make breakfast treats like muffin, waffles, and scrambled eggs and breakfast potatoes...I made this waffle recipe because I wanted a healthier version of pancakes...these pancakes do not have the restaurant style fluffiness, but rather they are dense and heavy because of the oats. Yum!

DRY INGREDIENTS:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup oats
3 Tbsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
2 Tbsp. wheat germ
1 tsp. milled flax seed (its like a powder)
1 tsp. buttermilk powder (optional)

WET INGREDIENTS:

1 egg and 2 egg whites, whipped till partially stiff
3 Tbsp. canola oil
1 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups soy milk

DIRECTIONS:

* mix dry ingredients.
* blend together wet ingredients in separate bowl.
* slowly stir in the dry mix.
* cook about 1/2 cup of batter on hot griddle (I use an organic cooking spray rather than butter to keep it low fat).

Serving suggestion: I like to lay sliced bananas and blackberries or blueberries onto the batter after I have poured it into the pan rather than mixing it into the batter...When the pancakes are done cooking, you can also serve with whipped cream and/or toasted pecans or walnuts.

No comments: