Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Muscat and Fig Compote


This is one of my favorite creations, which I am especially proud of because I stumbled upon it by accident while wanting something to go with my sunday morning pancakes...it is similar to the consistency of jam, easy to make and absolutely delicious...

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups figs (dark mission figs are best), diced
2/3 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
3 Tblsp. Muscat

DIRECTIONS:

* Heat the water in a small pot
* Bring water to small boil and add sugar and stir on medium heat.
* This will cook down to a simple syrup with a thicker consistency than just sugary water...takes about 10-12 minutes.
* Lower heat to medium-low and simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
* Stir in the Muscat and let simmer down for another 10 minutes or so.
* Allow to cook down to desired consistency (I prefer it thick like jam).
* Cool before serving.

Store the compote in an air-tight jar and use within one week.

Serving Suggestions: I like to put a small amount of the compote on a crostini with goat cheese...or with thick, greek style yogurt with walnuts. It is also a good on toast or muffins!

No comments: