Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Vegan Fettucine Alfredo

Why are starchy carbs so comforting?! I don't have pasta often, but when I do, I like to try something creative. Since I have a rule of never having heavy cream on hand, I thought I might try out a vegan version of alfredo since I had all of the ingredients on hand. This happens often, I find, where I can easily whip up vegan meals using common ingredients I normally buy anyway (granted, there are all sorts of ingredients that vegans use that I wouldn't normally have on hand). I was surprised at its similarity in creamy texture and taste to traditional alfredo sauce, although I don't remember the last time I had traditional alfredo sauce. Maybe years.



VEGAN ALFREDO SAUCE
Reprinted from Lachesis' Amazing Alfredo Sauce
1/2 c Earth Balance
2 cups unsweetened soymilk
1 package Extra firm silken tofu (I like Mori-nu)
2 Tbsp. white wine
2 Tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. sea salt
pinch of nutmeg
3 T.bsp arrowroot or cornstarch mixed in with equal parts of water
1/2 cup nutritional yeast

DIRECTIONS:

* Put all ingredients except for nutritional yeast in a food processor and blend until smooth.
* Heat over medium heat until hot, stirring often.
* Whisk in arrowroot/cornstarch mixture and heat until just bubbling. Do not let boil.
* Add in nutritional yeast and let the sauce simmer until thickened to desired consistency.
* Add in a little water from the boiled pasta if you want to loosen up the consistency.
* Serve over al dente fettucine noodles. Feel free to add in frozen peas or broccoli or top with parmesean and parsley!

**If you want to try a virtually fat-free version, try a recipe from my vegan friend over at Happy Herbivore.

2 comments:

Zoomie said...

Like you, I'm not a huge alfredo fan - usually too bland - but this sounds interesting.

Lindsay (Happy Herbivore) said...

aw thanks for the shout out babe