Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Friday, January 23, 2009

Vegan Zucchini-Flax Muffins with Golden Raisins

I owe you an apology. I have been absent for an inexcusable amount of time and you have been incredibly patient and understanding. I had all the good intentions of keeping you in the loop with lots of holiday goodies throughout the holiday season, because there were a lot of good parties and there were some amazing foodies going on. But things just got so busy. (And my mom's best childhood friend passed away suddenly just days after Christmas, so I was doing my best to offer support to my mom and friends and family. Which, since she lives in Hawaii, involves lots and lots of phone calls.)

Anyway, I wanted to give you a healthy and delicious recipe for the best zucchini muffins I have ever had as a little bit of a peace offering...and because you will definitely want to keep this recipe in your stash of "indulgent yet healthy" recipes (if you haven't made such a label, you really should!). It is the new year after all, which means people are likely thinking of ways to eat more vegetables and less cookies (unless they are these ones. So no more cookies. For at least a week. I mean, let's be reasonable.

I was out on a walk and I passed by this tiny little family-owned produce store selling a large bag of white zucchini for only 75 cents! I have never purchased white zucchini before because I have heard that they tend to be bland and are better when cooked down. But, certainly the bargain price of 75 cents warranted finding something to yummy to do with them. And, honestly, you can't go wrong with muffins. Despite the fact that there is no dairy, no butter, no eggs, these muffins are moist, hearty and delicious! I promise.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
* 1/2 cup white flour
* 3 Tbsp. ground flax seed
* 1.5 tsp. baking soda
* 1.5 tsp. baking powder
* 1/2 cup sugar (I use organic evaporated cane sugar from Trader Joe's)
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 1 tsp. cinnamon
* 1/4 tsp. cloves
* 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
* 1 tsp. sea salt
* 2.5 cups shredded zucchini (I used white zucchini)
* 1/2 cup golden raisins (or dried cranberries)
* 1/3 cup canola oil
* 2/3 cup soymilk (or milk if you prefer)
* 1/3 cup maple syrup
* 1 tsp. vanilla

DIRECTIONS:

* Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
* Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl (flours, flax, baking soda and powder, sugars, spices and salt).
* In another large bowl, use a whisk to combine the oil, soymilk, maple syrup and vanilla.
* Then add the dry mixture into the wet mixture in small batches, gently folding it all together.
* Fold in the shredded zucchini and golden raisins.
* Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments: