Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Lemon-Shallot Vinaigrette

Moving into a new apartment inevitably means getting rid of lots and lots of stuff that you have accumulated--from gorgeous shoes that you never wear because they give you painful blisters--but that you keep around because they are, well, gorgeous...to mismatched coffee mugs (does anybody really have a full matching set?!) to half empty jars of salad dressing...

So, now that I am delightfully snuggled into my new home, and I wanted to make a salad, of course I don't have any ready-made dressings on hand...So I whizzed this up with things I did have the smarts to keep...and I think you are going to love it--especially because its approaching summer and it is the perfect dressing for a sassy little salad.

I might be the biggest fan of chopped salads that ever lived. And I highly recommend using this vinaigrette with a big, chunky mix of whatever you have on hand: corn, cucumber, tomato, avocado, mango, arugula, watercress, asparagus, etc...

LEMON-SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 tsp. lemon zest
* 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
* 3 Tbsp. shallots, grated fine (like juicy pulp)
* 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
* 1/4 tsp. apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
* 1/4 tsp. rice wine vinegar
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1 Tbsp. honey
* 1/4 cup walnut oil
* 2 Tbsp. grapeseed oil
* sea salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:

* Put all ingredients except for the walnut and grapeseed oils in a blender (or food processor) and puree. (If you don't have a food processor or blender, a whisk will work just fine!)
* Slowly pour in the oil until mixture begins to emulsify.
* Add salt and pepper to taste and mix again.

Voila!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goes really well drizzled on some grilled vegetables too! Grill some asparagus and throw them in your salad.....

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.