Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Zaftig's Delicatessen, Boston

I feel incredibly lucky to live in a city with such amazing foodie choices that it is rare that I feel city envy...unless we are talking about cities outside the U.S. and then I start to ache for a simple baguette from Paris or café con leche from Spain or...whoa, let's not get sidetracked talking about foods and restaurants around the world (I should get to bed soon since I have to go to work early tomorrow!). Anyway, where I was going is that, while I am loyal lover of San Francisco, I have been known to have a small love affair with Boston (although the flame has cooled considerably in the past year)...but the flame is always revived a little when I think about this little jewish deli that warms my heart...and their slogan "Let us be your Jewish mother" always ropes me right in! (and if you do a wikipedia search for the meaning of Zaftig, you will be redirected to "Big Beautiful Woman"....so beautiful. "Beautiful" is the perfect way to describe this place, this food, this charm, this family...

Oh, Bean Town! If you ever visit Boston (or live there ) and have not yet stumbled upon the amazingness that is Zaftig's at Coolidge Corner (335 Harvard Street) in Brookline, you must, oh you must go there!! It's a typical Jewish deli that, despite having some non-traditional dishes, has all the classics (rueben sammies, blintzes, knish, potato pancakes, matzo ball soup, etc.). Every time I visit Boston I take everyone I know there...and it inevitably becomes a favorite spot. When you sit down they immediately bring you a plate full of their homemade bagel chips with a herbed cream cheese dip...

My "go-to":

Banana Stuffed Challah French Toast in a Bourbon-Vanilla batter served with strawberries and blueberries and a side of homemade date butter....
I am at a loss for words to describe the flavor and texture combo of this dish, but it is nothing short of chewy, warm, sweet perfection...No matter what time of the day it is (and despite their extremely broad menu), I always end up getting the French Toast because, yes, you guessed it--breakfast is served all day. Breakfast. Served. All. Day. Those four words really make a girl smile...You could post a sign up with those words and attract breakfast lovers like moths to a flame...(I cannot even count how many times I have had waffles or pancakes for dinner...my college--Occidental College--used to host "midnight breakfast" where you could show up in your pajamas from 10 pm 'til midnight and have a buffet line of breakfast foods to get you through studying during the wee hours of finals...the word "treat" doesn't even come close to describing the elation and fondness everyone feels for midnight breakfasts). Breakfast for dinner.

Now, I have managed to try a few dishes at Zaftig's besides the French Toast: the Macintosh Apple and Vermont Sharp Cheddar Omelette is excellent (Joe's Special--House-made ground turkey sausage, mushrooms, spinach and egg--is good too, but the apple omelet is better) and I also liketThe Empire Eggs--Two poached eggs, spinach and smoked salmon on potato pancakes finished with hollandaise sauce--is also amazing, but a little too rich for my taste (but my friends will attest that this, plus a mimosa, makes for a flawless hangover cure)...

Zaftig's. Do it.

No comments: