Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Lentil Barley Soup

It rained today. And it is supposed to rain tomorrow. And the day after that.

I got to work this morning literally minutes before the ominous dark clouds flooded in between the buildings of the financial district and dumped huge droplets of water on the unsuspecting people just going about their business trying to get to work. I don't mind the rain, really. And what I mean by that is I don't mind the rain as long as I am indoors where it is warm and cozy and I have a mug of tea and a sleepy kitty on my lap. If I have to go outside to run errands and get around in said rain, well, then that's a different story and then I completely mind the rain. Rain calls for what I like to call "the 4 S's": shower, socks, soup, and sleep. It's the perfect recipe for rainy weather.

So, dear friend, here is a soup recipe that I am sure you will love. The lentils and barley puff up to give a nice chewy texture throughout the rich tomato broth and chunky vegetables.
I have to warn that it makes a really big batch, which is just perfect because you can freeze it in individual servings for later when you need something comforting and hearty. So, what's so good about this soup recipe? Well, let's see...

* Inexpensive
* Healthy
* Easy
* Good use of barley and lentils!
* Fat Free
* Low Calorie
* Vegan
* Flavorful
* Hearty
* Yummy


INGREDIENTS:

* 2 celery ribs, diced (about 1 cup)
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 cup vegetable broth or water for cooking the onions
* 7 cups water
* 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce (low sodium)
* 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, including juices
* 3/4 cup dried lentils, picked over for debris and rinsed
* 3/4 cup pearl barley, rinsed
* 4 Tbsp. vegetable stock powder or 5 cubes
* 1/2 tsp. oregano
* 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary leaves (preferably ground into a powder)
* 1/4 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
* 1 large carrot, diced (about 1 cup)

DIRECTIONS:

* In a large stock pot, heat the 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and cook the onions, garlic and celery over medium-high heat until tender.
* Add the water, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and juices, lentils, barley, vegetable powder or cubes, oregano, rosemary and pepper.
* Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes until lentils and barley are nearly tender.
* Add in the diced carrot and continue to simmer for another 10-15 minutes until tender.

Serving suggestions: Serve with a salad and nice crusty chunk of bread...

No comments: