Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Friday, February 22, 2008

Green's Restaurant

My vegetarian friend, Tiffany (she makes awesome hipster bags!!), turned me on to Green's Restaurant--an all vegetarian haven run by Chef Annie Somerville...It is incredibly hidden and difficult to find because it is tucked away in a converted warehouse on the docks at Fort Mason...but boy is it worth the hunt! I never would have been able to find this restaurant had i not had the "pleasure" (read: horrifying experience) of taking the California Bar Exam in July of 2007 in another warehouse across from Green's...

One night, my girl friend and I had several occassions to celebrate, so we treated ourselves to a night out!

When I am really excited about trying a new restaurant, I can't help but take a sneak peak at the menu online and contemplate what I am going to order...this can be a difficult prediction to make when you are going to a place that uses local seasonal vegetables and you never know what will be available....What I really wanted to order was Fresh Pea Ravioli with snap, snow and English peas, fava beans, spring onions, almonds, Meyer lemon butter, Italian parsley, chive blossoms and Parmesan Reggiano....uhhhhhhhh!!! Unfortunately, they were out of that dish when it was time to order...

After a couple of glasses of wine, we shared this appetizer: Yellow Finn Potato and Poblano Chili Griddle Cakes with scallions, St. George cheddar, smoked cheese and masa harina. Served with fire roasted salsa and creme fraiche...


I'm not exactly sure what my friend ordered, but it was a stack of various roasted vegetables including bell peppers and butternut squash with some sort of cheese...Served with chard with pumpkin seeds and polenta cakes...


I ordered roasted portobello mushroom caps stuffed with cremini mushrooms and onions...Served with broccolini rabini and mashed potatoes and vegetarian gravy. My friend and I agreed that somehow, someway these were the best mashed potatoes we had ever tasted....They were so good that I begged the waiter to divulge the ingredients--He said they used potatoes, cream, butter and salt but, sadly, I am not convinced that he knew all of Annie's mashed potato secrets--It couldn't have been that simple...


I was completely swooned by Green's. *Swooned* i tell you! It was fresh, creative and delicious and I can't wait to go back and try their brunch menu!

No comments: