Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Sunday, February 10, 2008

Flax. Flax. Flax.

Welcome to the wonderful world of flax! One of the best plant-based sources of Omega 3 fatty acids (aka:alpha-linolenic acids...the good fats!) can be found in flax seeds. They are a great source of lignans (which are a natural anti-oxidant for the body), rich in protein and help with digestive systems by providing soluble fiber.

THE SECRET:

I think most people make the mistake of eating flax seeds whole. You see them in granola and figure it must be good for you. NOPE! While they have a better shelf life, whole flax seeds are really difficult to digest and your body cannot absorb the benefits unless they are milled or ground. If you buy them whole, use a coffee grinder or mortar/pestle to grind them up!

To make things easy, I buy Bob's Red Mill Whole Ground Flaxseed Meal (gluten-free!). I *love* all Bob's Red Mill products and encourage you to seek them out and try something new!

HOW TO STORE:

Flax is highly perishable. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer. I freeze mine.

SERVING SUGGESTION:

I try to put flax in everything I can: oatmeal, yogurt, muffins, cookies, breads, smoothies, waffles, pancakes...you can even buy flax pasta!!

No comments: