A healthier and unique twist on enchiladas!
INGREDIENTS FOR SAUCE:
* 1 packet enchilada mix (I use McCormick's--it's fat free, not spicy and flavorful)
* 1 8-ounce can of low sodium, fat-free tomato sauce
* 1.5 cups of water
INGREDIENTS FOR ENCHILADAS:
* 5 whole wheat tortillas
* 1.5 cups low-fat/fat-free cheddar, jack or colby, shredded
* Fresh spinach, steamed (and pressed to get all the excess water out!)
* 1 small onion
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1 tsp. taco seasoning (optional)
* 1 can of black beans (again, pick a low sodium one!)
* Fresh cilantro (optional)
* Mix water, tomato sauce and water and heat over medium-high heat until sauce thickens...Makes about 2 cups of sauce--Use one cup for the inside of the enchiladas and one cup for the top. Set aside.
* Spray pan with a nonstick spray or one of these nifty oil pumps.
* Sautee garlic and onion in pan over medium heat until cooked. Set aside.
* Steam spinach, drain and (when cool) squeeze out the moisture by hand. Set aside.
* Warm tortillas in pan (or microwave).
* Divide all of the ingredients into 5 portions (I divide one cup of cheese between all 5 tortillas and reserve the remaining 1/2 cup for the top!).
* Roll them up, burrito style! (sauce, beans, onions, spinach, cheese, cilantro)
* Pour a little bit of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
* Place enchiladas in tray.
* Cover them with the remaining cup of sauce and 1/2 cup of remaining cheese.
* Cover with foil and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
* Remove foil and bake another 8-10 minutes until sauce bubbles and cheese browns a little.
* Serve over a bed of shredded cabbage and chopped tomatoes
* Squeeze a lemon wedge over the enchiladas.
* Mix 2 Tbsp. of fat-free sour cream (or I use plain fat-free greek yogurt as a sour cream substitute) and 1 tsp of Cholula hot sauce and serve with enchiladas.