Check out my foodie adventures at Foodspotting and Foodgawker

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Roasted Butternut Squash Salad


I wish I could have one of every item in Whole Foods--the ultimate foodie's haven...

If you arent able to cook up a meal yourself, Whole Foods has a delicious food bar (and lots of pre-made meals too!). Sometimes I browse the food bar just to get ideas for things I can make for myself at home (and avoid paying $6.99/lb!). Call it "shopping for a free idea". This warm salad sounded so delicious...

The food bar presents my typical dilemma that I usually face when dealing with food buffets--I shove a whole bunch of things that I dont think "go together" because I cant make up my mind or I get greedy and want to eat more than I should. Always ends in a tummy ache. Always. So I usually try to avoid buffets and, instead, take the ideas back to my kitchen and prepare a more balanced meal that wont give me a stomach ache...

Thank you, Whole Foods...

INGREDIENTS:

* butternut squash
* red onion (diced)
* dried cranberries
* maple syrup
* olive oil
* sherry
* wine vinegar
* thyme
* salt & pepper

This recipe can also be easily adapted to include any of your favorite root vegetables (parsnips, carrots, sweet potatoes, etc). You could also add fresh rosemary sprigs or sage leaves.

No comments: